29 Aug 2005

Dumb and Dumber

I like simplicity but a synonym could be "dumb things"!!!
"Why Good Programmers Are Lazy and Dumb"
I think excactly the same!
I like the "google vs yahoo" comparaison.

Lazy, because only lazy programmers will want to write the kind of tools that might replace them in the end. Lazy, because only a lazy programmer will avoid writing monotonous, repetitive code ? thus avoiding redundancy, the enemy of software maintenance and flexible refactoring. Mostly, the tools and processes that come out of this endeavor fired by laziness will speed up the production.

Second (and I will elaborate a bit more on this because I find the concept to be less known than the first) a good programmer must be dumb. Why? Because if he?s smart, and he knows he is smart, he will:

a) stop learning
b) stop being critical towards his own work

No comments: