31 Aug 2005
I don't know if the book (In Search of Stupidity: Over 20 Years of High-Tech Marketing Disasters) is a good one but the picture is just funny :)
29 Aug 2005
"Why Good Programmers Are Lazy and Dumb"
I think excactly the same!
I like the "google vs yahoo" comparaison.
Lazy, because only lazy programmers will want to write the kind of tools that might replace them in the end. Lazy, because only a lazy programmer will avoid writing monotonous, repetitive code ? thus avoiding redundancy, the enemy of software maintenance and flexible refactoring. Mostly, the tools and processes that come out of this endeavor fired by laziness will speed up the production.
Second (and I will elaborate a bit more on this because I find the concept to be less known than the first) a good programmer must be dumb. Why? Because if he?s smart, and he knows he is smart, he will:
a) stop learning
b) stop being critical towards his own work
27 Aug 2005
- Rich Client : effet de mode ou révolution ? (in french)
- Coming soon : CPS Rich Client based on Eclipse RCP
- There is no technology/language mix (smaller learning curve)
- I like java and compilator errors (versus scripting language even if I'm learning ruby)
- I've been using CSS for web styling for many years now, it's nice but it can be so damn hard to get what you want sometimes...
18 Aug 2005
It happened to me every day... but not anymore! ;)
Because I made a little Firefox search engine plugin, you can find it at http://mycroft.mozdev.org
17 Aug 2005
They point out the usal endless debates amongst developpers and there attitudes.
- Martin Fowler - Software Development Attitude
- Steve Freeman - Enablers and problems
- Ward Cunningham - The Simplest Thing that Could Possibly Work
By the way, I more of an enabler ;)
4 Aug 2005
It took me 8 months to finish Half Life 2.
Excellent game, great graphics, superbe "ambiance". I really like the "The War of the Worlds" look and feel!!
I know "I 'm slow" :)
But I changed job meanwhile and I only played about 2 or 3hours per month.
Half Life is quite long.
Let say it a 40 hours game then, with the average hours I use to play, it would have taken me 1 year to finish it! (40hours/3hours = 13 month!)
As you can guess I played it a little more during the last few month ;)